Saturday, August 23, 2008

No, RBD, I will not march for you!

So the Mexi pop band Rebelde, or RBD, has announced they are breaking up. For those that may not know Rebelde they are kind of like the Backstreet Boys of Mexico, a manufactured pop group that has become very successful. I didn't like the Backstreet Boys, and I don't like Rebelde.

So this band decides to break up after 4 years together (yes, only 4), and they will of course have a farewell tour and a final album, not counting the reunion tours, best of cd's (only together for 4 years people!) that will surely follow. This is not to say they do not have a following. They have a huge following and can sell out concerts in parts of Eastern Europe where other Rock en Espanol groups would only have a cult following. There are countless blogs, fan clubs, and people in other countries adore Mexico for the pure fact that it gave birth to RBD.

So instead of RBD using their widespread influence over young people to mobilize them for a cause like stopping the ICE raids in the US, the stop to violence against Indigenous People in Latin America, or even to stop global warming (the safest cause around), what does RBD ask of their fans.......to have mobilizations all over the world today, Saturday August 23rd, demanding that RBD doesn't break up.

Yes. You heard right. In a time when millions of families are being separated by borders, ICE, wars, and famine RBD is asking people to march for six privileged already rich individuals to be able to stay together so they can get more famous. How selfish can you possibly be to ask that of people, especially when you are the one who announced the break up! Its like asking for a moment of silence for yourself. Its just wrong.

While I don't believe in RBD, I do believe in the power of music to move people, otherwise we would not be doing this blog. Which is why fans all over the world have responded with planned actions in Mexico, Brasil, US, Panama, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Spain, Colombia, Peru, Romania (!!), and Republica Dominicana.

So, no RBD, I will not march for you. I will save my marching, my chants, my outrage, my organizing skills, and my sense of justice for Elvira Arellano, who was deported after taking sanctuary in a church for over a year; for Leonard Peltier, who has been in prison for over 30 years for defending Indian land and sovereignty; and for people like Jose Morales, who at 79 years of age was evicted from his home for 43 years and is now homeless.

No, RBD, I will not march for you.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

hey I actually do like RBD , they are a fantastic group that has really marked a milestone in most teens in my age group. So while yes it may seem pointless for you to think that marching for RBD is selfish. To me marching for them would be an attempt to keep legends alive!!! RBD I WILL MARCH FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1