Thursday, December 10, 2009

cementerio de hormigas

recently, there was what can only be described as an elaborate ant funeral cortege in my apartment. at all hours i would see the ants a couple at a time dutifully retrieving their dead and carrying them to the windowsills, piling them up in ant graveyards of sorts. i don't know why all the dead ants, perhaps a change in the weather. but the meticulousness of their efforts in piling up the bodies of their fallen compañeros was impressive. and it reminded me of a curiosity i've had since i was little. why do they do that?

this question and a desire to find info in a place with a little more authority than yahoo answers lead me to my new favorite website, madsci network, which is like an archived scientist q & a (so cool!). as it turns out, that particular ant behavior most likely evolved as a precaution against potentially
harmful bacteria on the dead ants infecting everyone else in the nest. or ... if you ask my sister (not a scientist) it's simply a matter of honor. either way it's a pretty amazing level of organization, the ant society.

**

in other insect news, the episode also reminded me of alejandra, who once made me listen to a similarly themed song which had so moved her by its beauty that she found herself listening to it over & over & over again. i emailed her about it and she knew exactly what i was talking about! she found it, and sent it to me (see below). thank you, querida alex! besos!!



foto: teamwork by macropoulos

lo feo : gema y pavel (letra, teresita fernández)



alita de cucaracha
llevada hasta el hormiguero.
alita de cucaracha
llevada hasta el hormiguero.
así quiero que en mi muerte,
así quiero que en mi muerte,
así quiero que en mi muerte,
me lleven al cementerio.

No comments: