Sunday, February 14, 2010

pop confessions

once upon a time, i was visiting with a friend. we were sitting in my living room, and he was looking through my computer, surveying my itunes library. i'm not going to say it's the most complete or best-curated collection of songs in the world, but you know, there's a decent amount of good music in there. so, he would play an occasional song, usually rock en español, and say things like oh my god where did you get this? or oh i loooove this band or whatever. but then it got quiet. i looked over and he had this sort of crushed look on his face and his eyebrows furrowed. finally he said, paulina rubio? (pause, avoiding eye contact) really???... like he couldn't believe his eyes. like it was a political betrayal. like i had broken his heart. i blushed.

you know, i could have made up some excuse of how she ended up in there. but truth be told, i put her in there. i admit.

y yo sigo aqui (remix): paulina rubio



y cuando me acerco a ti, hay una bomba explosiva! that song hit 1 on the "latin" charts or equivalent not only in the u.s. & all over latin america but also the philippines, malaysia, portugal, & finland. oh my god, that video is so crazy though. me da verguenza all over again.

: diabólica

**

and now, because admissions are always better in good company, i introduce my co-conspirators...


la pachuquita :

I confess...to the love that knows no name or reason. I love Ricky Martin. Yes world, I love the ex-Menudo, now international hip shaker, vida loca living, ambiguously sexual, single parent, sometimes hot mess. I forgot about my childhood crush on Menudo Ricky Martin until 1998 when "Copa de la Vida" became the anthem for the 1998 World Cup and then Summer of 1999 when "Livin' la Vida Loca" was forever connected with nights out dancing in Colorado. What sealed the deal was "Vuelve", which I will forever associate with a great novela ("Sin Ti") and late nights out inebriated while foolishly mourning young love in Mexico City. Ricky also has a cute humanitarian-steering-towards-left bend, including giving Bush the one finger salute during one of his songs and then saying this when he was criticized for it, ""My convictions of peace and life go beyond any government and political agenda and as long as I have a voice onstage and offstage, I will always condemn war and those who promulgate it".

I feel better after my confession, but what will be my penance? I heard Ricky Martin is coming out with another album in 2010. The waiting will be penance enough.

vuelve : ricky martin



**



la cumbiambera :

Ever since my marido moved in with me a year ago, my house is almost always filled with románticas, pop-rock, bachata, etc. Music that used to be cheesey and intolerable to me has earned its place as our family soundtrack. I am embarrassed to say that I am no longer embarrassed when my playlist subjects my dinner guests to songs such as this one. ¡Que viva el pop!


hacer el amor con otro : alejandra guzmán



**

¡¡feliz día de amor & amistad!
! besos--

las rsf

4 comments:

oakling said...

A confession in return:

I thought Ricky Martin was a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE PERSON for years.

Until that "Mambo No. 5" song came on the radio the other day and I was like "DAMN YOU RICKY MARTIN" and Annie said "This is Lou Bega."

Sorry Ricky....

diabólica said...

ooohhh, pobrecito ricky martin! all this time wrongly accused.

la cumbiambera said...

Aha! Danica, love that story. I also have also despised him while secretly (or not) enjoying his songs. We should have more pop confessions. Like maybe once a week.

Jess said...

You guys are cracking me up! Here, at work, in the library, I am stifling giggles. Also, Paulina Rubio looks hilarious with her suspended animation sneer at the beginning of that video.

And since you are holding confession on your blog, I will admit that I am guilty of indulging in pop - especially Belanova (who are definitely a studio band and should never be heard live) and Miranda (which I listen to in my car with the windows rolled up.)

I promise not to look at you differently now that I know this about you - please don't judge me too harshly! :-)